The Dixon House – Currently Closed.
The George W. Dixon House was built in the early 1830s by Mr. Dixon a merchant tailor who was briefly a town commissioner. Dixon purchased the lot the house stands on in 1826. It was part of the original Tryon Palace grounds, which had been divided into building lots and sold by the state after the Palace burned in 1798. The Dixon lot represented a choice corner location. The house stands on its original foundation; it has never been moved.
In contrast to their contemporaries, the Robert Hay family (see Hay House), the Dixons enjoyed an elegant lifestyle and furnished their home in the latest fashion. But after 1833, Dixon fell on hard times economically as he continued to spend money he did not have. Dixon was forced to mortgage his house and its contents four times between 1833 and 1836, and finally lost the house in a foreclosure sale to settle his debts in 1839. During the Federal occupation of New Bern in the Civil War, the Dixon House served as a hospital for the 9th Vermont Infantry.
19th century Architecture
Federal in style with some Greek Revival features, the house is a good example of the popular side-hall plan dwellings built in New Bern during the early 19th century. Originally two and one-half stories high, the house received a two-story addition at its east elevation by the Stevenson family in the late 19th century. Tryon Palace added a small one-story wing when they purchased the house from the Stevensons in the late 1950s.