The Jones House
Jones House c. 1809; 1820
Built for John Jones, the house was completed in two phases; the front portion facing Eden Street dates to 1809 and the back portion to 1820.
A Prison for North Carolina’s most notorious women spy.
During the Civil War, the house was used as a jail, the most infamous prisoner being Emeline Pigott, a Confederate spy who entertained Union soldiers for information and carried secret messages in her skirt between New Bern and local sea ports. In 1963, the Jones House was purchased by the Tryon Palace Commission and turned into a reception space and guest house. It now houses the Costume Shop and Education staff offices and is closed to the public except for during Behind the Scene Costume tours offered by Tryon Palace.